I just returned from a food studies conference and some vacation in Alaska, which seems like as arbitrary a time as any to return to this venue after a number of years.  Since this picture was taken at 3 am, you get to decide whether it's sunset or sunrise.

Here are some things I learned while in the 49th state:

1. West coast oysters are very good.

2. Anchorage, while still a white-majority city, is one of the most diverse census tracts within its racial-ethnic groups: the public schools are among the most diverse in the US.  Of course, with 227 different indigenous/native groups identified in Alaska, maybe you would not be surprised, but the diversity of the Anchorage census tracts comes from global populations and migration, too.  Each of my Lyft drivers were from different countries.   For such a small city, there's surprisingly diverse food options. (I did not intend to make this one about food, but oh well).

3. You should make noise and not run from a bear, but if a moose chases you, run like hell and hide behind a tree. I, unfortunately, did not get to test out either of these facts, but they were repeated with such frequency and by trustworthy people, I offer it here for your sake.

4. There are two universities in the city: University of Alaska at Anchorage and Alaska Pacific University. The people who hosted the conference at the city were incredibly generous and because we are a small conference group with a tiny budget, one of the organizers and her family (Turkish immigrants) made all the food for a Turkish Donner picnic for one of the events (for 200+ people).  It tasted like heaven.

5. While we were enjoying their hospitality, the state of Alaska, which determines the funding for UAA, as a state school, cut 40% of the university's funding for the upcoming year. That's $140 million dollars, thousands of employees (staff and faculty), and over 27,000 students served by three campuses.    I would say something about the neoliberal market mentality of republican led governments, but really, it's just a piece of shit no matter how much theory or politics you attach to it.

6. People in Alaska like coffee.  There's a coffee kiosk every few blocks and there's a lot of discussion about fair trade coffee.  Of course, it was 80 - 85 degrees while we were there, so I only sampled a few, but I liked Kaladi Brothers.

7. Speaking of 80 degree weather, Alaska has never had temperatures as high as the ones we experienced in the last two weeks there.   (Regardless, hiking in the middle of the day, up a mountain, even if you are headed to a glacier, is stupid. Just learn from my mistakes, ok?) . I would say something about climate change (here in Pittsburgh, we've had rain 75% of the days this year so far...), but really, you and I both know we've all had to adjust; just try and consider what it's like for folks without resources and those who will be here long after you aren't around, over-consuming.)

8. I have a lot to say about my immature need to see animals in their habitats, but I'll spare you that. I'm just having a hard time reconciling the gorgeous videos of bears in streams in the airport with the "WATCH OUT FOR BEARS" signs everywhere. Stop pandering to my bad side!  Truth, I saw plenty of creatures without disrupting their daily routines.

9. Alaska also has very high rates of domestic violence and there's a strong grassroots movement called "No More Free Passes" to push for greater enforcement of existing laws and changing archaic ones.   Rural isolation, longstanding gender norms, and a Republican government all contribute to the current context.

10.  The range of people who engage in tourism in Alaska is interesting.  Getting off the plane, there were more than 15 wheelchairs waiting for passengers headed onto cruise ships.  There were also a lot of outdoor enthusiasts, much more racially and globally diverse than I anticipated.   If you have time and you are there, I really recommend this place, not far from the airport, where I ate at least three times.  The soup broth was amazing.



Finally, I stole this photo from my friend Amy Guptill.  It speaks for itself:



Comments

Unknown said…
Such a great and reflective post.
I hope to hear more about Alaska.
Unknown said…
Such a great and reflective post.
I hope to hear more about Alaska!

Popular posts from this blog

Sharp Shinned Hawks and Other Distractions

Destinesia